Wednesday, December 16, 2009

What moment from the Oil Crisis of 1973 would be appropriate for a diorama?

Okay, so I have this project for history in which I must make a diorama about the Oil crisis of 1973. I must pick a specific moment and create the scene, however, I am not sure what specific moment of the oil crisis would give enough detail about this event and still be able for me to create visually.





Yeah, so can someone help please?What moment from the Oil Crisis of 1973 would be appropriate for a diorama?
I would do a diorama of long gas lines. One thing I remember as a small kid was sitting in gas lines forever. You might consider doing a gas station with a sign out front rationing gasoline with a long line of cars stretched out onto the street, backing up traffic. I don't know if this helps, but seeing cars backed up at gas stations is not something normal in America. When it happens, people start seeing how gas shortages and embargoes can affect their personal lives.What moment from the Oil Crisis of 1973 would be appropriate for a diorama?
I think the best image of the oil crisis that everyone who was alive at the time remembers is the lines of cars waiting at gas stations to get gas. All you would need would be a small model of a gas station, some Matchbox models of appropriate-age cars, and maybe a little ';out of gas'; sign for the gas pump.
An egg under an accelerator pedal.





Whazzat? you're saying. I lived through those times and I well remember when gas first broke through a buck a gal on the retail level. (I can't tell you the exact year.) One trick the media offered up to save gas: imagine an egg under the accelerator pedal and you'e trying not to break it. In other words, suddenly jamming down on the pedal uses more gas than gradually increasing the pressure.





And I guarantee no one else will use your idea. It should stand out in the crowd, and when you explain it, that will be half the fun.





(BTW, when I got my driver's license, gas was about 29 cents a gal--and that usually included a jelly glass and green stamps. (Bet you don't even know what a green stamp is!)

No comments:

Post a Comment